Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

December 5, 2014

CT Scan Results

I had a CT scan yesterday, and the results are mixed.

The good: most of the tumors stayed the same or shrank since the last scan in September.

The bad: the largest rumor in my liver grew, and my oncologist believes I've seen all the benefit I'll see from this chemo regimen.

I have an appointment with her December 15, and we'll review the options and pick a new chemo. There are several standard treatments to try, and I may qualify for a clinical trial.

I know I've kept these blog posts pretty basic and factual lately. That's just the phase I'm in, I suppose. 

I also know that people wonder whether to ask me how I'm feeling and engage me in a health-related conversation. I know it's hard to know what to say to me sometimes. Please know that I don't have expectations around what people "should" say.

I assume everyone in my life is wanting the best for me, and I'm not bothered if we don't have a direct conversation about that.

Sometimes I feel like talking about  my health. and sometimes I don't. I don't expect you to read my mind about that - I'm good at steering the conversation in a direction that works for me in the moment.

So yes, I want to hear from you and/or see you! And no, we don't have to talk about my health! And yes, it's fine if you ask after my health!

I don't want you to avoid me because you don't know what to say. Avoid me for other reasons, like I annoy you or you're tired!

A sense of humor is one of my most valuable allies. Sharing it with you is both fun and healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment