Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

May 1, 2012

Home Again

It's me, Heather - back to the blog!

I got to go home today about 9:30 am, which suited me just fine. By then I had graduated to "no IV needed" status and a few other things which meant the hospital could give me the boot.

I'm tired and sore, but still pretty euphoric about getting the surgery over with and being home. I expect that this will shift as the novelty of getting out of the hospital wears off and the plain old tediousness of recovery sets in for a while.

I was very relieved to hear that the surgery went well and I'm so grateful not to have had unpleasant side effects from the anesthesia or the pain medication. 

I was in good hands and the medical staff were all nice. But being a patient in a hospital sucks. It's a strange experience just to surrender to what is happening to you. You don't feel good. There's not a lot of sleep to be had, either. It can be loud, and medical staff come in at regular intervals to check this and do that.

I'm expecting to hear more information later this week (maybe tomorrow) and I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. C. next Monday. Depending on how it goes, that might be the day I get the drain removed (if you don't know what that is, that is just as well!)

I've been advised to use my right arm in non-strenuous ways immediately and I have some exercises to do to help gain range of motion. But I also take Vicodin for pain, so I'm in a weird semi-normal, semi-unwell phase.

OK, time to go back to bed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the post, Heather! Glad you're home. (shelliet)

    ReplyDelete