Why Am I Writing This Blog?
There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.
September 21, 2013
It's Back
Well, shit.
I learned yesterday that the masses in my liver are indeed the return of last year's breast cancer. There is no evidence of cancer anywhere else, so that's something.
The treatment is chemotherapy, and I'm scheduled to start that on Thursday. Before then I have a couple of oncology appointments to learn more about the recommended regimens and to pick one.
There's no cure for stage 4 breast cancer - instead the goal is control, and I've learned that some women are living quite a long time with the disease. I'm choosing to focus on hoping that I'll be one of those.
We will need a lot of help, but I don't know in what forms yet. This will be a day by day experience. The last three weeks have been truly awful and B. and I are both grieving - I think that's the best word that encapsulates the essence of where we're at. Grief comes in cycles as you know, so along with grieving we are living and we are hopeful.
What You Can Do
Think positive, hopeful thoughts and imagine the best outcome for me. Stick with me - I'm fighting this, and I need you. B. and the girls need you. Don't stay away because you don't know what to say - we're all just stumbling through this. Don't stay away because you're worried I'll cry or you're afraid you'll cry. That's all part of it.
I'll do my best to keep the blog updated with the latest facts and to let you know about practical things we might need.
In the meantime, I'm making every day as good as it can possibly be and keeping my loved ones close. Thanks for your continued love and support.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Heather,
ReplyDeleteI'm holding you and B. and your daughters in my heart and mind.
Susan
Love will guide us, peace has tried us,
Hope inside us will lead the way
On the road from greed to giving.
Love will guide us through the hard night.
Sally Rogers
Dear Heather...all my positive thoughts and energy to you and the whole family. Love you much....
ReplyDeleteBeth