Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

February 12, 2015

Happy Valentine's Day

Hearts I've been given
Hallmark holiday or not, I like Valentine's Day. I love chocolate and I love flowers, and God knows February needs something to cheer it up a bit.

Since B's birthday is a week before Valentine's Day and he and I always go out for dinner to celebrate, at our house Valentine's Day is a family event at home. I cook something comforting and we always have chocolate fondue for dessert. It is ridiculously easy to make and you want to eat it about once a year, so it fits the bill.

I'm continuing to do well on this chemo plan. There are some minor nuisance issues that I am managing, but they're not too bad. Also I'm more tired, but almost everyone I know is tired (again, February, you are most uninspiring!) You have probably heard about cancer fatigue, and I've had some of that, but thankfully it isn't constant.

I think it's fair to say that overall my stamina is down. Down from when I'm not exactly sure, but I can't do quite as much in a day as I used to, and I need to rest or recover more. This has been happening gradually, but when I'm around people with high energy I am reminded of it. Some days I have pretty high energy, and some days I don't. Considering I've been on chemotherapy continuously for over a year, I'd say I'm doing quite well.

Heather in our garden right now
B and the kids do a lot around the house. B cooks dinner now (previously my job), and the kids pitch in and are very capable. Last weekend M cleaned almost the entire house without being asked while the rest of us were out for a few hours. (Don't worry, she's a normal 16 year-old most of the time).

My spirits are good a lot of the time. I don't write in this blog when I'm feeling down, so I'm realizing now reading over it that I sound pretty damn plucky. There are plenty of low points, and I'm thankful to have people to turn to when those times come.

The next milestone will be a CT scan probably the week of March 16. That will be after three cycles of this drug and we'll see if it's doing some good.


No comments:

Post a Comment