Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

March 24, 2015

Lucky Number Six

Orchid at home
I had a CT scan last week, and unfortunately the disease is progressing. Only one tumor (the largest one) is growing but it's growing at a rate that shows "progression", so I need to go off the clinical study and do something new.

My oncologist would like me to see the oncologist from the cancer research center again to see what new and exciting trials there might be there for me. Since I can't get an appointment until May 7, I will start a new chemo plan, Gemcitabine (plus Herceptin), around April 15.

I've been planning a vacation to New York City in April, and my oncologist sees no reason for me to skip that. We are planning my treatment around it. I'll be spending some of the time with very good friends and some with B and the kids. I haven't been to NYC since the time of The Bonfire of the Vanities, and I hear it has changed just a little bit.

I'm sorry that the Eribulin did not work for me, although it was getting to be somewhat annoying, side-effects wise. We'll see what "Gem" as it is called for short, is all about.

So Gemcitabine will the the sixth drug I will try against the disease since September, 2013. Two drugs worked for six months each, two didn't work, and one I couldn't do because I was allergic to it. Hopefully Lucky Number Six here will do some good.

I'm still not in any pain and am managing the nuisance side effects alright. They will probably diminish the further I get from the Eribulin.

This has not been a fun week. Besides the disappointing news about having to switch plans I developed a fever last Thursday and had to have a bunch of tests at the "Urgent Care" clinic to rule out neutropenia and infection. The tests weren't hard, and I wasn't neutropenic nor had an infection, but the fever held on and I felt icky and tired for a few days.

I feel back to normal now and am looking forward to family things and of course New York!

No comments:

Post a Comment