Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

July 21, 2015

Liver Function Numbers Improving

There's always something new at the conservatory!
Silly me, this was sitting in my drafts folder for over a week now...well, better late than never.


I've been on the new pills for three weeks. Today (July 13) I had blood work done and saw my oncologist. The good news is that the pills have caused my liver function numbers to improve. Yay! They are still "abnormal" (I mentioned last time they have been for months) but are trending in the right direction.

I'll have lab work done again in mid-August and will have another appointment with Dr. N. I'm not sure when the next CT scan will be.

Compared to many other patients, my doctor says that I am tolerating these new medications very well. Afinitor isn't chemotherapy, but can cause some yucky side effects I've avoided.

The new symptom I've been managing this month is fluid retention in my legs, ankles and feet. This is a common issue with liver problems / cancer. I can walk but very slowly, like your grandmother in slow motion (alright, that's a bit of an exaggeration). I will probably need to rethink my shoe situation pretty soon, as most of mine don't fit. I'm sure there are many stylish orthopedic options out there for swollen feet.

There's not much to be done except hope it gets better and keep my feet elevated when I'm sitting around. The whole thing is uncomfortable and annoying, but I'm adjusting.

So far my summer has been slow-paced for the most part, which has been fine. I am learning not to expend energy on a lot of unimportant things or things other people can help me out with. I'm making progress with asking for help - that's just going to be an ongoing process. I am really up and down emotionally, which I think is just par for the course.

Some of the best things about this summer so far:
  • Stunning weather
  • Time with the kids
  • Reading
  • Hearing from so many people in my life who care about me

No comments:

Post a Comment