Well, I've been curious about when (or whether) I was going to write this post, the one about hair.
I guess it's today!
I told you a while back that the chemo drugs I would be on (specifically one of them) would definitely lead to hair loss. And then I went on radio silence about hair.
As you might imagine, the knowledge of sudden, impending hair loss due to
chemicals coursing through your bloodstream to kill cancer cells brings
up all your hair and vanity issues front and center, very quickly.
Plenty of you who see me regularly already know my hair story. But now I'd like to share in the blog.
My Love/Hate Relationship with My Hair
What woman doesn't have a love/hate relationship with her hair? I have yet to meet her. Although I liked certain aspects of my hair - its color (from a bottle for years due to lots of grey), its body, its uniqueness, the fact that it was mine (I felt a certain loyalty to it) - it would not be the hair I'd order from the factory (too thick, too coarse, too hard to manage, too grey).
And although I had long hair practically my entire life, I was almost never satisfied with how it looked or how well I could style it. My hairstylist used a blow dryer and made it look fabulous, but I could never achieve that look myself, despite the eight kinds of goo, gels and serums I own (sound familiar to every woman reading this?!)
Yet I also refused to experiment and get it cut short. I had convinced myself that I just have very difficult hair.
I was in a rut.
Confidentiality
Some patients don't mind the fact that anyone who cares to notice can see they are in cancer treatment. I am not one of those patients.
I know I wanted to have some kind of hair option for when I had no hair. I looked into all kinds of wigs. None of the ready-to-wear wigs even slightly resembled my hair. Too silky, too Raquel Welch, too Halloween. None of them were even close to my shade of kinda red/kinda brown.
A friend told me about her friend who had a wig made out of her own hair, so I looked into it."You can't even tell it's a wig!" was the common refrain I heard as I did the research.
Sign me up.
Getting the Haircut
Three days after my first chemo treatment I went to a father-and-son business in town who create wigs for women who lose their hair through chemotherapy or a condition such as alopecia. They are amazing people who do an incredible job. It's an art.
I brought just the right friend with me for the haircut, and it was an interesting and somewhat empowering experience rather than being traumatic. My hair was cut to a short crew-cut length and then the rest of it was made into a wig in one day. You just have to see to believe it. There's even a fake "part" in it that looks real.
In the meantime, I got a preview of what I'll look like when the hair grows back in a bit, and I'm happy to say that I think short hair will suit me. Bonus!
"Mavis"
It's funny that I felt my hair was so much a part of my identity, but when it was cut off and made into a wig it just became the hair I used to have. I did not lose my identity just because I lost the hair. For some reason I named the wig Mavis, maybe because it seems like a humorous name for a working girl. She sits on a wig stand in the closet until she's on shift.
It's been great wearing the wig whenever I want to be inconspicuous and just blend in. This isn't important around family, but it's nice around acquaintances and in social gatherings. I can relax and think about something besides cancer when I know that I'm not an obvious billboard advertising cancer treatment. I don't have any hard-and-fast rules about when I wear the wig and when I don't. I decide in the moment.
I'm grateful to live in a climate with mild summers, that's for sure.
Planet Bald
My hair has fallen out at different rates in different places. I'm almost bald on my head (a lot of the crew cut fell out and then I had it shaved to make wig-wearing easier) yet some hair is still growing there. My eyebrows and eyelashes have thinned but are still hanging in there.
At home I forget that I'm almost bald until I catch a glance at myself in a window or mirror. Then it's a bit startling. With the chest port and the bald head I remind myself of an alien. But I'm used to it and it doesn't upset me very often.
What I keep remembering is that this hair loss is temporary. This fact, coupled with having a wig that looks like the old me, keeps this whole hair loss thing from being completely horrible.
Facing hair loss is one of the many examples of things I've had to do this year that I dreaded yet somehow managed.
By the end of this adventure I'm pretty sure I'm going to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound.
Why Am I Writing This Blog?
There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.
July 30, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Heather - I'm chuckling with tears in my eyes. I bet you'll look awesome with short hair. Glad "the making of Mavis" was empowering! Maybe your hair will grow back "more manageable?" I so resonated with the love-hat relationship and the goos/serums.
ReplyDeleteNow this is memoir material. You could name it my life with Mavis. At least make it a personal essay. It is so funny, smart, informative and relatable. Glad you are finding humor in all this. And just so you know, I have always liked your hair so much. Life always looks better from the other side of the blow dryer
ReplyDelete