Last Wednesday, the day I got "the call" with "the news", was a pretty awful day.
Although I was expecting this news, I still felt shocked, scared and grief-stricken. However, that day I also felt strongly supported, cared for and loved.
A powerful example:
M. texted some of her friends about it after school, just after we told her.
A few hours later, the doorbell rang. M., C., and I answered it together. Standing on our porch were three of M.'s friends, holding this plate of homemade cupcakes. They gave M. and C. each a pink "emergency chocolate" bar and a pink ribbon. They were wearing pink ribbons on their wrists to support us.
The three of us were stunned and amazed by this incredibly caring gesture. M. had never experienced anything like it, and she was so pleased.
As I emailed people who knew about the biopsy with the news of my diagnosis, I felt the outpouring of support come back to me. I can't emphasize enough what a huge difference this made to me. I felt stronger and less vulnerable, and far less alone.
If we could all feel incredibly supported every day, whether we've just heard bad news or not, the world would be an entirely different place.
Why Am I Writing This Blog?
There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.
So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here. Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.
Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.
Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

Wow!!!! M has some wonderful friends. Kudo's to those girls - and their terrific parents. All too often we only hear about the stupid or insensitive things that kids do. It's nice to hear about the good things too!!!
ReplyDelete