Why Am I Writing This Blog?

There's nothing more important to me than my connections with family and friends.

So in an effort to stay connected I'll be posting updates about my treatment and health here.
Of course I want to connect with you outside of this blog! But this is a quick way you can find out what's happening.

Also a request: I would appreciate it if you didn't post anything on Facebook about cancer and me.

Writing has always been a natural form of self-expression for me. So this blog is also a personal outlet, one I'd like to share with you.

February 26, 2012

Next Steps

Dr. C called me Thursday and let me know that the radiologist who read my MRI doesn't believe that they'll be able to see either of the two "mystery areas" via ultrasound, so I don't have an ultrasound/biopsy appointment February 29 after all.

Instead I'll have MRI-guided biopsies, which I hope to have as soon as possible. Oddly even though I live in a major city, this procedure takes place at my healthcare company's location 30 miles away. So it's going to be quite the fun field trip.

I also got a referral to consult with a plastic surgeon because I want to know more about reconstruction as I make surgery decisions. 

Over the last week I've gradually started feeling less upset all the time. I know this is an up and down thing and I'm grateful for getting a break from extreme anxiety. I've talked with a couple of friends and have learned that my worst-case-scenario thinking about what chemo would be like is not necessarily accurate, and that helped quite a bit.

I'm doing whatever I can think of to think positive, do things that feel good, and talk with supportive people. I'm highly suggestible right now and the littlest comment can either make me feel a lot better or send me into a tailspin. So I really appreciate that no one is telling me about their friend's horrendous breast cancer experience. :-)
  
Although all this waiting around is a drag in a many ways, I'm getting the opportunity to think about what my priorities are and about what I'm willing and not willing to risk. I don't know what exactly will be happening and what options I'll have, but I'm starting to trust that with more information I'll make decisions that are right for me.

I so appreciate everyone's well wishes, emails, phone calls, comments on the blog, cards, chocolate, magazines and other thoughtful things. You may think that whatever you're doing to support me (even if it's just thinking good thoughts) is small, but it actually feels very, very big.


No comments:

Post a Comment